Tuesday, March 17, 2020

Dismantling White Supremacy in Schools

It's taken me longer than expected to write about this topic, probably because I didn't know exactly where to start with having the courage to post. I know understand that by not calling this out more explicitly in my work, that I am being complicit in upholding notions of white superiority, dominant culture and exploitation.

So, what's my message here. I guess, its first establishing the fact that we must begin this work in all aspects of education. Reflecting back, I'm starting to understand why so much of my schooling frustrated me, or rather felt deeply oppressive. Of course, there were many instances in my education where some of my teachers reflected more liberatory teaching practices and to this day, I continue to benefit. However, looking back on the collection of my K-12 education in metro Detroit, much of what I was taught was rooted deeply in the notion that the most important ideas in this world are generated, promoted and eschewed by white people.

In today's educational landscape, we are starting see the emergence of incorporating new paradigms into our system that challenge notions of superiority of white culture.

No comments:

Post a Comment